I found this recipe the other day on the kitchn and just knew I had to try it. I'm a huge ice cream fan, so I'm always looking for similar indulgences sans guilt. I also LOVE raspberries. Like I'll literally eat a whole container by myself in one sitting. Berries are healthy though, right?
So, needless to say I was pretty disappointed when I realized that I needed an ice cream maker for this project...after I had already bought all the ingredients. But please, nothing can come between me and my froyo. Here's how I managed to pull off this delicious treat by making a few modifications! Also, check out the recipe here on the kitchn for all of the options in making this sweet treat (i.e. Izy provides several alternatives to sugar).
1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries + more for on top
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup raw sugar
2 cups coconut yogurt, homemade or store-bought
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup shredded coconut (Izy's recipe calls for unsweetened, shredded coconut but I couldn't find any so I just used regular shredded coconut!)
Directions (w/o an ice cream maker):
1. Put raspberries and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, mashing the raspberries with a fork as they heat
2. Strain raspberry sauce and discard seeds
3. Pour raspberry sauce into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix together
4. Freeze mixture, periodically re-stirring the mixture as it begins to harden
5. Keep re-stirring the mixture every few hours until it appears to be of an ice cream like consistency
P.S. I just got a Yonanas maker, which takes frozen bananas and turns it into mock ice cream. I'll let you guys know how it goes, so be on the lookout for a post on that!